Profile Pic

Profile Pic

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Our Redneck Express Run (Lauren)

So, I know Austin already posted about the run and enthused a little but, I want to give my take on the story too! I have to write a few more posts to catch up to him (it's like some weird unspoken competition between us). Also, I'll write this so all of you lucky readers can learn a little more about the bunny run and its makers!
Austin stole all of the good pictures (the cheater, getting his post done before me) so, mine will be mostly words. Sorry. Maybe if you're good I'll draw you a picture of a bunny or something (because words are boring). He's out right now with a cigar so, I can type whatever I want without him reading over my shoulder... MUAHAHAHA. Though, he'll undoubtedly read it later... So... Hi honey!


Austin and I had been planning to make the run for quite a while, even before we knew what type of rabbits we were getting or where we were getting them from. It had been part of the plan since day one... or three. I don't quite remember. We didn't know how we were going to make it or where it would sit or where we would store it but, we knew we wanted one. Mainly as a precaution against ulcerative pododermatitis (look at me and my big fancy words. Can Austin do that? ... Probably...). In short, bunnies get sore footsies sometimes if they sit on hard floors or wire or poop or pee for too long. The easiest cure is to keep the little fuzzy footsies clean and on some nice soft grass and dirt.
See? Sore footsies look kinda like this... But fuzzier.

**Fun Fact**
Not all of our bunnies have dewclaws (the useless little thumb claw) I think only Fabio (our buck) has dewclaws. That is all.
**Fun Fact End**
We had no idea how we were going to make their run but we have quite a bit of scrap wood because we found some in dumpsters and found some palate boards to break down and etc. etc. We ended up using composite wood boards (I'm not sure it that's actually what they're called) and some plastic "All Purpose" fencing from Farm & Fleet (we enjoy that store).

So, I just looked up "Composite Wood" and this was one of the images:
https://apps.carleton.edu/reason_package/reason_4.0/www/images/534949.jpg
That's what our wood looked like, so feel free to correct me but I'm going to call it "Composite Wood" for this post.

We have quite a few composite wood planks (fewer now) that we found (YAAAY FREE STUFF) and we borrowed our house-mate's power saw (Austin didn't let me play with the power tools *POUT*) and cut two pieces as a certain length and two other pieces as a certain slightly longer length. Because measuring is for suckers... and proper carpenters... and people with measuring devices (no, we did not use the "Lauren's arm is about a foot long" measurements this time).

We tried to use nails but our wood was wet and when we tried to nail in the dowels, the pieces would separate. Our solution? Use screws instead! Also, it meant Austin got to use more power tools. We ended up screwing the plastic netting/wire stuff between the boards that would make up our base (so that the bunnies could not escape by pushing through the bottom). It sounds weird and is hard to explain in words. I would much rather explain it to you in person because I talk more with my hands and onomatopoeia (that's a really hard word to spell). I pretty sure you wouldn't understand "And then tonk tonk tonk *flailing arm motion* but also *tugging arm motion* and a little merp shwadonk" I mean, if you do, that's great and you know exactly how we made the run, but for all those "normal" people out there, I'll explain it as best I can.

After putting the boards together with wire netting wedged in between them, we needed a way to keep the netting upright so, we used (what we call) square wooden dowels. We screwed those into the inside corners of the box. Lastly, to keep the net on the wooden dowel thingies, we used smaller wooden dowel thingies to hold it the netting up. We would place it under where we were about to nail in the dowel and then use the nails and dowel to keep it in place... Maybe a diagram will help?

Man, I am such an artist (that didn't take me about 25 minutes, what are you talking about?)
That's the side view by the way, I even included the screws with little details, you have to appreciate attention to detail like that.

OH NO! AUSTIN HAS RETURNED! NO MORE SECRET BLOG POST WRITING! SAVE YOURSEEEEEELVEEES!
Orrr, I could just continue drawing and writing with him staring at me like I'm a crazy lady (which I am)... So, here's a top view!

Those details. Wonderful. Someone should pay me for these works of art.

In case you're curious, which you are, Austin is jealous of my awesome MS Paint skills. Let's be honest, who isn't? Did you see the detail on that bunny?! 

Hopefully those images cleared up the construction aspect a little, if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment and ask.

All of the bunnies seemed to enjoy their little excursion (if you read Austin's post, you know a certain buck may have enjoyed it a little TOO much). Jane Doe and Curious Georgia were quite chill and nibbled the grass in the area, occasionally looking around, sniffing, or putting their adorable little paws up on the netting (which held, YAY FOR CRAFTSMANSHIP). Fabio on the other hand was running around like a little adorable spaz and sniffing the air every 17 seconds. He was also the one nibbling on the wooden dowels and edges the most, he's a trouble causer. All in all, we think they like it and it's nice to let them out on the grass for a while while sitting outside.

We're considering placing the run a little farther into the thicker grass where there's a mulberry tree above the grass (and lots of tasty mulberries on the ground and in the branches). We're hoping the bunnies would enjoy a little sweet treat and some longer, more plentiful grass. From the slight research I've done, mulberry leaves are supposed to be pretty good for bunnies (there's a scientific paper out about it, actually) and the berries, as long as they aren't under-ripe, are a tasty treat that will turn Fabio's face purple. If they are under-ripe, they could have hallucinogenic properties (which would be pretty funny to watch).

If you're curious (and a bit of a science geek like me) here's the paper on bunnies and mulberry leaves: Ta-Daaaa!

With that little tid-bit of knowledge, I shall leave you. In other words... I should leave before you get HOPPING mad (HA)!
-Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment