Profile Pic

Profile Pic

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Farmstead Vision: Mob Stocking? (Austin)

This video is a gem to me. It didn't take very long into researching sustainable livestock management to run into the concept of Holistic Mob Stocking. I understood basic concepts of it and was aware of some benefits as well as some of the most noted names in the field, but I didn't have much understanding of what the finer points were to this system. Well yesterday I found it, and to boot it's by one of the most successful Mob Stocking employers in the country and in the world.
His name is Greg Judy and his primary operation is beef cattle in Columbia, Missouri. If you're at all interested in livestock management, environmental restoration, quality food, or sustainable agriculture then I strongly recommend you spend the 75 minutes to watch this video. This stuff is amazing.
This video is an hour-long seminar he gave followed by a useful 15 minutes of Q&A and after watching it I have much better understanding of what Mob Stocking is and how it is done (although I still have a lot to learn). If you know the name Joel Salatin but aren't familiar with Greg Judy, they use the same system.
As I aspire more and more to build a farmstead that honors the Lord, I've been finding a deeper passion than simply becoming self-sufficient: to introduce the world to a method of quality food production that respects, restores, and maintains the work of God's hands. And this is one of the best methods I've come across that can accomplish all this. If you don't take the time to watch it now, don't worry; in a few years when you come to visit our farmstead, I'll explain it to you then ;)

Click here to learn about Mob Stocking from one of the masters in the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment