Profile Pic

Profile Pic

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Business and Future Projects (Austin)



Alright, I apologize that it's been over a month since we've posted anything. School finally started back up and it's been pretty busy. Since Lauren and I are both officers in our campus archery club, that takes up a lot of our out-of-class time. But it's going well. There hasn't really been much time for significant homesteading endeavors lately, but that's about to change.

Next week I am finally going to be building my first aquaponics system for year-round gardening. I had planned to do it anyway, but I'm taking a sustainability class now and thus have extra incentive to complete it because it is my big semester-long project to enhance my personal sustainability; therefore, I will be graded on it. So that's pretty exciting, I'm really looking forward to it. I will also be compiling either a series of photos or a video (if I can ever find my elusive video camera) on how I built it for those of you who may want to build your own someday. If you've never heard of aquaponics, here's a quick diagram to show you the basic concept:


Another exciting announcement: I may have an extremely fortunate business opportunity before me that I will also be beginning to pursue. I'm taking an entrepreneurship class and was developing business ideas and, long story short, there seems to be a huge need and want in my area for composting services so that people aren't throwing their food/organic waste into the landfill. So I am looking at opening a business that collects, records, and composts people's food wastes. The university and several businesses in town have been trying to find an alternative to just throwing leftover food and scraps away, so early signs show that if I do it right I could have an extremely successful business that would grow quickly. I'm praying that I make the right decisions to make this opportunity happen.
Anyhow, thanks for tuning in. If you forgot we were here, I understand. And I forgive you. But we haven't forgotten about you, and we'll keep you posted now that we're able to continue our advances toward sustainable living. Y'all take care out there, God bless.

Austin

1 comment:

  1. Sweet deal dude. Good luck with the business planning and I look forward to the how-to on building your aquaponics system. -Adam

    ReplyDelete